[naemon-dev] Distributed Monitoring

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Jan 18 22:34:09 CET 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:

> > I've worked for a couple of MSPs and one of the biggest issue we had
> was that the distributed monitoring nagios installs needed to have
> inbound connections allowed to them each of which required a unique
> public IP (not port NAT) which meant it was very wasteful for large
> deployments.

No public IPs are needed, .. just run reverse ssh tunnels from each of the
remote machines to the central server. Active checks as well as ssh access
('Nix, Windoze, Apple) is trivial.

I would suggest exploring passive check options, however, .. it is much
less troublesome - Windoze machines, in particular, are prone to
"forgetting" service credentials in an AD environment.

	Lee