[naemon-dev] Ideas about future features

Matthias Eble psychotrahe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 21:40:41 CET 2013

Hi Dan,

> This is the direction I am going (if I understand you correctly), in that a REST API will
> be the only entry point in/out of the server, and will just take commands like addHost,
> updateHost, updateService, etc.

Well, the question is, how the core will evolve. Will this be a core
feature or just a broker module
using dynamic object creation?

> I think the current flat config file syntax is too old and not flexible enough.  I would love to be
> able to do things like define new types, why only host and services, why not just call them
> whatever you want, like I want to define “applications” and assign whatever properties I want to them.

hmm. How would that possible? Hosts and services are quite different
when it comes to scheduling:
   * trigger host check if service check fails
   * trigger service checks when host goes down

Wouldn't custom types require custom code to be executed in the core?

It would be a shame if there would be a naemon core that relies on a
3rd party  config generator/importer which does not exist.
I mean, there are some FLOSS projects that have a perfect core but,
for example, only have half-baked front-ends because nobody
volunteers.

But I guess that there will always be a version that can be run stand-alone?

Matthias