Customized macros not working for contacts

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu May 3 16:46:06 CEST 2012

On 05/03/2012 12:42 PM, Deborah Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running nagios 3.3.1 on sles 10.
>
> I've defined a contact which uses a customized macro called
> _EMAILCONTACTID
>
> However, when I try to reference this macro, from a script defined to
> run as part of a service check,  as an environment variable
> $NAGIOS__CONTACTEMAILCONTACTID, is blank

Are environment macros are turned on and large_installation_tweaks
turned off? Otherwise, it's not supposed to work.

> If I define a customized macro in the service definition, I can see
> the contents of $NAGIOS_SERVICEEMAILCONTACTID.
>
> I've followed the docs and it does state that you can define a
> customized macro in a contact definition, so this to me looks like a
> bug in 3.3.1
>
> When will a fix be available ?

When someone sends in a patch, or when Eric and Ethan finds time to
work on this. Environment macros are nifty to use in small installs
but the performance penalty associated with them along with the weird
errors that occur in large installations with many large groups of
objects make them unsuitable for real-world usage, so I prefer to
deter people from using them rather than fixing any problems with them
(since the most severe problems just aren't fixable).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Live Security Virtual Conference