NEB issues with 3.4.1 and current trunk

Mike Guthrie mguthrie at nagios.com
Fri Jun 22 20:57:14 CEST 2012

Hey Guys,

Issue #1:
I wanted to run this buy some people who understood the the NEB API's
and the event loop better than I do.  I came across an issue the other
day with DNX where random service checks seem to get frozen in the
scheduling queue.  The check gets executed, but the next_check time
never gets reset, it'll just sit there indefinitely until a new check is
forced from an external command.  Submitting passive results on the
check does not reset the next_check time either.  I thought this might
be something to keep an eye out for, since a lot of people distribute
their checks.  I can recreate this at will with DNX, haven't tested it
with Mod Gearman yet.  I attached a pair of scripts to fetch a list of
frozen checks if anyone else wants to play around with this.  Just
update the file location of status.dat in show_frozen.php and then run:

(Run at 11:10am)
./show_frozen.php

localhost : MySQL Uptime
LAST: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:51:58 -0500
NEXT: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:51:58 -0500

localhost : PING
LAST: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:04:36 -0500
NEXT: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:04:36 -0500

COUNT: 32

Issue #2:
Also, it appears that in the latest trunk, Macro translation may not be
occurring properly for NEB modules.  Example from the DNX log below:

Current SVN Trunk:

[Fri Jun 22 10:47:15.602 2012] dnxPluginExecute: Executing $USER1$/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_process_wizard.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$192.168.5.59 $ARG1$ -C public --v2c -n 'httpd' -w '15' -c '1'

Core 3.4.1 Works properly:

[Fri Jun 22 10:50:54.768 2012] dnxPluginExecute: Executing /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http -H 192.168.5.58

My knowledge of C is only enough to be dangerous for these two issues,
but if there's a way I can help by testing or otherwise let me know.  : )

--

Mike Guthrie
Technical Team
Email:  mguthrie at nagios.com