Cache layer in NSCA?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jan 8 11:15:40 CET 2012

On 01/04/2012 12:23 AM, Mike Lindsey wrote:
> We're using an external script to handle connection caching for NSCA..
> Once we have X seconds of OCSP and OCHP results queued in the local
> cache, we fire off a batch submission through send_nsca.  One TCP
> connection, one encryption handshake.  Under extreme load, we've been
> having some issues and I'm thinking about re-engineering it.
>
> Only, I think if I do much work, I'd like to add the cache logic to the
> send_nsca binary itself.
>
> Changes would involve adding a cache directory and cache age (and/or max
> cache items) config directives.  Without the new directives, program
> flow would be as normal.  With those directives, any submitted OC*P
> events submitted to send_nsca would get dumped into the cache directory
> until the oldest file exceeds the max cache age, or the number of items
> exceeds the max.  Once either of those are reached the next send_nsca
> call would submit all results at once.
>
> A lockfile mechanism of some sort would be in place to prevent any
> subsequent send_nsca runs that get kicked off, before the submitting run
> has finished, from doing duplicate submissions.
>
> Any concerns, requests, or gentle guidance towards alternate solutions?

Await the new check engine. It will be able to feed checkresults to an
external deamon which can then forward them to a multiplexing daemon on
the receiving end, so one handshake and one socket setup per daemon in
the nagios "cloud". The I/O-broker has proven more useful than I first
anticipated, so writing the multiplexing daemon should be roughly as
easy as making a few library calls.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.