Cache layer in NSCA?

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 4 08:42:47 CET 2012

Mike Lindsey wrote:
> We're using an external script to handle connection caching for NSCA..
> Once we have X seconds of OCSP and OCHP results queued in the local
> cache, we fire off a batch submission through send_nsca.  One TCP
> connection, one encryption handshake.  Under extreme load, we've been
> having some issues and I'm thinking about re-engineering it.
>
> Only, I think if I do much work, I'd like to add the cache logic to the
> send_nsca binary itself.
>
> Changes would involve adding a cache directory and cache age (and/or max
> cache items) config directives.  Without the new directives, program
> flow would be as normal.  With those directives, any submitted OC*P
> events submitted to send_nsca would get dumped into the cache directory
> until the oldest file exceeds the max cache age, or the number of items
> exceeds the max.  Once either of those are reached the next send_nsca
> call would submit all results at once.
>
> A lockfile mechanism of some sort would be in place to prevent any
> subsequent send_nsca runs that get kicked off, before the submitting run
> has finished, from doing duplicate submissions.
>
> Any concerns, requests, or gentle guidance towards alternate solutions?

you could look into the ndomod mechanism, when it receives a socket
timeout/blocking. therefore writing a local cache file, and resending
that once the connection is alive. this might require changes though, as
send_nsca is a single call, not a daemon to be triggered more often.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email:  michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at