Suggestion to first_notification_delay

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 15 10:49:58 CEST 2011

On 09/15/2011 09:40 AM, Matthieu Kermagoret wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Andreas Ericsson<ae at op5.se>  wrote:
>> It took me quite a while to grok what you're saying, although the code
>> speaks clearly enough for itself. To clarify for others who might not
>> have the stamina to apply the MUA-mangled patch and read the code for
>> themselves, the patch intends to make first_notification_delay depend
>> only on the first non-OK hard state change and not reset the timer for
>> new hard states that replace the one that initially triggered the
>> first_notification_delay.
>>

>  From what I understand from this patch, your explanations are the
> expected behavior but not what really happens with the code. Indeed
> the patch base the first_notification_delay on the last hard state
> change, not the first non-OK hard state change. Both might be the same
> but only if the hard state have not changed during the first
> notification delay (from critical to warning for example).

Exactly. So if a service with first_notification_delay of 300 seconds
goes offline at 21:00, the first check resulting in non-OK state after
21:05 should generate the alert no matter if the state has changed
since then or not. Unless, ofcourse, the service has recovered and
then gotten a new non-OK hard state in that time.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

from deploying virtual desktops?   How do next-generation virtual desktops