Dependencies in redundant networks and services: a idea for Nagios 4

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Mon May 23 17:51:07 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-23, at 03:34, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> I agree that dependencies should have been specified somewhat like
> you mentioned if it had been done that way from the start, but
> right now it's too late to change how they work and what they do,
> as people find good use for them the way they work already.

Part of the reason I described the change the way I did was to maintain functionality for people who already use dependencies.  There would obviously be a slight change to syntax for people who already use them (there's plenty of precent for syntax changes with major revisions, and that's why I suggested leaving it until 4.0), but I think anyone who uses service/host dependencies today should be able to maintain the exact same behaviour using what I described.

The idea of creating an entirely new object wasn't one that had occurred to me.  I suspect it may raise the complexity level of the config, but that's just a first-blush impression.. I haven't tried to think through what the syntax might look like.  It's definitely worth consideration.

I'll see if I can mock up some syntax ideas based on that.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay