Nagios config verify failing with "garbage" characters in output

Jim Smythe icatchspam at gmail.com
Sun May 22 23:26:40 CEST 2011

I am currently running 3.2.3.

I have quite a few machines running nagios and all but one are running
happily with very similar configs (hosts/services differ from machine to
machine, but all other files are identical).

I get a config check error on one that is very strange.

*#### Snipit of hostgroup config file that doesn't work (identical on all
machines)*
define hostgroup {
    hostgroup_name Consumer Electronics
    alias Consumer Electronics
}

*#### running nagios -v ../nagios.cfg get this (please note, the corrupt
characters change every time I run the verify process)*
*.... lines ommited ....*
        Checked 15 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Error: Host 'èð' specified in host group 'Consumer Electronics' is not
defined anywhere!
        Checked 11 host groups.
*.... lines ommited ....*
Total Errors:   1

*#### changing the "C" in consumer electronics to a "c" fixes it (or, from a
cursory check, any letters except "A", "B", or "C") - see modified snipit*
define hostgroup {
    hostgroup_name consumer Electronics
    alias Consumer Electronics
}

*##### config check runs perfectly!!!*

Note: It so happens that this hostgroup is not even in use on this
particular machine.  I just have a standard hostgroup config file that gets
distributed to all machines.

I think this is a bug, but I cannot find any information that shows one
already logged, and I don't really know how to confirm exactly what is
causing the verify process to believe there is a host with the garbage
characters.

Any suggestions would be great!