NSCA patch submission - long plugin support, direct checkresult writing

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:00:06 CEST 2011

On 29 Mar 2011, at 21:35, Mike Lindsey wrote:

> I've made a few modifications to NSCA, to allow both long plugin output support, as well as to bypass the command pipe.
>
> I've been using these patches in a production monitoring environment for over a year with about 1000 servers, 8000 service checks, with five minute retries.
>
> Performance tests for the long plugin output support (4k character limit, just like Nagios core) showed a very slight improvement in performance - I don't entirely know why, but I assume it has some arcane relationship with network packet sizes.
>
> Performance tests for bypassing the command pipe and submitting results directly into the check result directory have shown significant improvements in performance.  I can supply some data if there's interest, but I suspect that some of the core developers have better environments for collecting and verifying that data.

We couldn't extend NSCA in a backwards compatible way so switched to using NRD instead. We got shockingly good performance too, so it's good to see changes to NSCA may also improve performance. Our results are here: http://labs.opsview.com/2011/01/next-generation-distributed-monitoring-the-opsview-way/

Ton