NSCA patch submission - long plugin support, direct checkresult writing

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Tue Mar 29 22:35:08 CEST 2011

I've made a few modifications to NSCA, to allow both long plugin output
support, as well as to bypass the command pipe.

I've been using these patches in a production monitoring environment for
over a year with about 1000 servers, 8000 service checks, with five
minute retries.

Performance tests for the long plugin output support (4k character
limit, just like Nagios core) showed a very slight improvement in
performance - I don't entirely know why, but I assume it has some arcane
relationship with network packet sizes.

Performance tests for bypassing the command pipe and submitting results
directly into the check result directory have shown significant
improvements in performance.  I can supply some data if there's
interest, but I suspect that some of the core developers have better
environments for collecting and verifying that data.

--
Mike Lindsey