Integrating Nagios with Test Driven Development

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 10 12:32:03 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 07:56 PM, Vonnahme, Nathan wrote:
> Cool!  Nagios-cucumber looks like a great tool. I knew I wasn't the
> only one thinking along those lines.
>
> You're right that Nagios isn't a Continuous Integration tool. I'm
> just thinking that functionality can suffer because of things other
> than new commits, especially on a production app. So reusing existing
> functional tests for monitoring seems like a good way to increase
> monitoring coverage.
>
> And I think sysadmins could benefit from using test tools to prove
> assertions about the environment and infrastructure underneath the
> application.

It's definitely not a bad idea. We use it for integration testing
on continuously updated systems. Unittests and even function tests
of a particular program isn't enough to test a ton of integrated
projects. Especially when they're spread across multiple nodes in
a Merlin network.

I agree that unittests should be run by developers immediately
though, and for that I really, really detest the TAP output.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/ephox-dev2dev