Integrating Nagios with Test Driven Development

ranjib dey dey.ranjib at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:23:50 CEST 2011

Well, monitoring tools like nagios are more used against in production or
mission critical infrastructure/apps. While unit tests are a part of
development practices and there are dedicated tools (called as Continuous
Integration tools) used for checking unit tests outputs. Jenkin/Hudson,
crucise control, goldberg, Go etc are few of them. These tools can monitor a
code repository (git/svn/hg etc) and pull in new commits and then run the
unit/functional test automatically and then notify/alert accordingly.

If your unit tests are failing, then it means they are not going via a CI
tool.  To me testing and monitoring are pretty different.

Never the less, i like the idea :-). We do use nagios-cucumber for work flow
monitoring against some of our apps.