Ndo connection handle

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Jan 18 12:48:56 CET 2011

Shadhin Rahman wrote:
> All,
>    NdoUtils is particularly written for mysql and postgres.  I am
> thinking about creating a few more connection handles such as oracle,
> DB2 and possibly sybase.  I need a few opinions on this subject.

ndoutils is mysql specific. otherwise the logic with the insert ... on
duplicate key update ... would have been implemented more generally, as
this is just a mysql specific standard, but not official sql standard.
postgres and oracle need an adapted upsert logic to realize that. so for
what it's worth, you'll need to find a solution on that at first glance.

> 1)  IDoUtils already has oracle support, porting the code to Ndo, is
> there any license restrictions associated with this?

assuming that you keep the credits to icinga while porting the code,
feel free to do so. although i'd recommend getting in touch with the
devs first because i do think the code is not self explaining right now.

> 2)  NDoUtils has many embaded sql statements, what is your opinion
> restructuring the code and making it modular.  I am suggesting
> decouple the queries from application logic.  Create sql interface
> which queries get passed into?

an interface is a good idea, first off - normalize the insert queries to
sql standard.

> 3)  If I (am bold enough) attempt to restructure the code, which
> version is a better option, 1.28 or 1.29?

i'd recommend just providing a diff instead of re-versioning this.

kind regards,
Michael

> Cordially,
> Shadhin Rahman

> Protect Your Site and Customers from Malware Attacks
> Learn about various malware tactics and how to avoid them. Understand
> malware threats, the impact they can have on your business, and how you
> can protect your company and customers by using code signing.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at