Fix for extraneous alerts + two development pleas

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 12 09:33:57 CET 2011

Hi,

Ton Voon wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A customer of ours raised an issue which has kept me busy for the last
> few days. The problem is that if a host is shutdown, there are an
> excessive number of log entries for the host's services in nagios.log
> (though not for the first service that invoked a host check). More
> details about the problem and the fix are here: http://bit.ly/gZUzlR
>
> I have added test cases to catch this particular problem - details on
> running tests are here: http://wiki.nagios.org/index.php/Nagios_Core_Developer_Guidelines#Testing
>
> You can see the effect by reverting the fix to base/checks.c and
> running t-tap/ test_checks - this will fail for two attributes that
> were not being set correctly.

Thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

> I have two pleas:
>     * Please add/request test cases for any new changes (where
> possible). This way we can build up a whole set of cases to measure
> impacts in future (I think handle_async_service_check_result() could
> do with a refactor but I daren't touch it at the moment)

Yeah that would be great - also regarding automated tests in tinderbox
or hudson (which is being used in opsview too as I have read) :-)

>     * Please can we move off CVS - I cannot link to a specific change
> which makes it hard to communicate about specific changes

+1 as usual.
I'm currently using various git mirrors to source patches from, like
Andreas' http://git.op5.org/git/?p=nagios.git;a=summary (your recent
commit is missing over there btw).

Kind regards,
Michael

> Kudos to Andreas for the test-stubs.c file in t-tap/.
>
> Ton

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at