Fix for extraneous alerts + two development pleas

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:57:40 CET 2011

Hi!

A customer of ours raised an issue which has kept me busy for the last
few days. The problem is that if a host is shutdown, there are an
excessive number of log entries for the host's services in nagios.log
(though not for the first service that invoked a host check). More
details about the problem and the fix are here: http://bit.ly/gZUzlR

I have added test cases to catch this particular problem - details on
running tests are here: http://wiki.nagios.org/index.php/Nagios_Core_Developer_Guidelines#Testing

You can see the effect by reverting the fix to base/checks.c and
running t-tap/ test_checks - this will fail for two attributes that
were not being set correctly.

I have two pleas:
   * Please add/request test cases for any new changes (where
possible). This way we can build up a whole set of cases to measure
impacts in future (I think handle_async_service_check_result() could
do with a refactor but I daren't touch it at the moment)
   * Please can we move off CVS - I cannot link to a specific change
which makes it hard to communicate about specific changes

Kudos to Andreas for the test-stubs.c file in t-tap/.

Ton

http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl