Threaded reaper patch

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 15 15:25:08 CEST 2011

On 08/09/2011 09:13 PM, Adam Augustine wrote:

> But in spite of that, it seems that moving the reaper code into a thread
> would be generically useful for Nagios. I know it has been discussed on this
> list in the past.

It would also cause a bunch of problems. What we're working on instead is
implementing worker processes which communicate with a master process via
a unix socket. One such process could act as a (mostly dormant) reaper for
the checkresult files in the spool directory.

> If the Merlin reaper thread is wholly contained within the Merlin NEB (as it
> appears to be) and is not in any way patching the Nagios core code, then my
> question is, how is that working without conflicting with the main event
> loop reaper code?

Mainly by making Nagios itself threadsafe all API's the broker module uses.
That's why Merlin needs Nagios 3.3.1 or one of the post-3.2.3 versions made
available through git.op5.org

> My quick glance at the NEB callbacks for
> EVENT_CHECK_REAPER seems to indicate that there isn't any
> NEBERROR_CALLBACKOVERRIDE associated with it. So I am very curious how it is
> being handled.

You're talking about two different reapers. They don't interfere with
each other at all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

download at:  http://p.sf.net/sfu/wandisco-dev2dev