Unable to stop executing checks with 3.2.2

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Sun Sep 19 12:51:24 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 06:57:54PM +0100, Ton Voon said:
> The test_events.c passes with this change. However, it would be best
> if a testcase could be written for the problem this is trying to
> solve, which fails without the patch and passes with the patch. This
> will ensure the problem will continue to get visibility in future.
>
> If you create that testcase, I'd be more than happy to apply.

So I've been looking at the various test cases you already have, and I'm
not sure if it's going to be simpler to try to plug it into test_events.c
or create a new one, so I'm going to outline my thoughts and ask for a
recommendation.

The things that this patch addresses and should be tested are (in pseudo
code):

if execute_service_checks == 1 and execute_host_checks == 1:
    failed service_check schedules a host_check and executes it
    service_check is rescheduled

else if execute_service_checks == 0 and execute_host_checks == 1:
    service_check is rescheduled instead of executed
    host_check is scheduled at it's normal interval and executed

else if execute_service_checks == 1 and execute_host_checks == 0:
    failed service_check schedules a host_check
    host_check is rescheduled instead of run
    service_check is rescheduled

else if execute_service_checks == 0 and execute_host_checks == 0:
    a service_check is rescheduled
    a host_check is rescheduled

That covers my understanding of how the scheduling should work.

Any advice on where to put that?  I admit at first glance I am slightly
daunted by the prospect of learning your test harness for the logic
above, but I'm willing to try.

Cheers,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Exhilaration is that feeling you get    |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | just after a great idea hits you, and   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | just before you realize what is wrong   |
|                                | with it.                                |