macro_x madness heads up

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 29 12:38:36 CEST 2010

On 10/29/2010 11:05 AM, Ton Voon wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2010, at 13:42, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> As I have promised, I have delivered. Notifications are still not
>> thread-safe, because I simply couldn't follow how the macros are
>> modded
>> and managed both locally and globally around 4am this morning.
>> Perhaps I
>> needed more red bull or, quite possibly, sleep.
>
> Sleep is always good!
>
> I notice lots of test changes - cool. However, tests are currently
> failing due to test-stubs.c being missing. Can you add in?

Will do. Actually, it's done.

> Shouldn't this change be in a different branch? It sounds too risky
> for a stable branch.

Not really. It works basically like it used to, but all volatile macros
are passed around in a stack-allocated struct that matches
s/macro_/mac->/ exactly. I have, and still do, test it extensively as
we plan on releasing this for use in production at our customers.

Besides, I have no idea how to create a branch in CVS but Merlin needs
this in order to handle 3k+ checks per second, so I abused my core dev
privileges a little. It probably won't be the last time, and since it
doesn't change the internal data structures in any way, I figured it
was worth it. To be 100% backwards compatible, it's quite easy to add
non-reentrant functions for macro handling. Check in common/macros.c
for process_macros() and you'll see how it's done. Note that they can't
be macros or inline functions in headers though, as the linker needs to
be able to look them up when modules are loaded.

> FWIW, +1 for a change to SVN, because CVS is too painful for
> branching. I've got some changes I want to make

SVN isn't much better. Being stuck with antiquities like those just
plain sucks. git, hg or bzr would make life so much easier. But as it
seems we're stuck with CVS we'll have to work within its limitations.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev