CVS, SVN, and GIT - Oh My!

Ethan Galstad egalstad at nagios.org
Mon Oct 4 06:41:53 CEST 2010

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> On 10-10-03 11:33 PM, Ethan Galstad wrote:
[snip]

> Ok, I'm sure we'll live with that :) Just one note though, git-svn makes
> it very easy to apply Git's ease of use (I sure that means nothing to
> you ;) ) on a subversion repository. This mean from Git I can easily
> check-out latest svn code, rebase if needed and apply git commits on the
> SVN trunk or branches.
>
> So if (and I emphasise on the "if") switching the core to SVN is a
> possibility, that could, IMHO, make the Git-lovers out there much
> happier, and I'll be happy to post instruction to clone the svn repo and
> explain the normal work flow using git-svn.
>
> I don't want to force anyone's hand, but for me the day I started using
> git-svn I also started hating Subversion which was by far the SCM I used
> and administered the most before Git.

I would be open to moving to SVN if its easier for Git users.  There are
a few scripts I need to track down and modify for nightly tarball and
PDF doc builds, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

Does anyone have an objection from moving away from CVS for future releases?

--
Ethan Galstad
Father of Nagios

Virtualization is moving to the mainstream and overtaking non-virtualized
environment for deploying applications. Does it make network security
easier or more difficult to achieve? Read this whitepaper to separate the
two and get a better understanding.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/hp-phase2-d2d