alternative scheduler

Fredrik Thulin ft at it.su.se
Wed Nov 24 13:10:25 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 12:52 +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 01:59 PM, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > In case that was too long for y'all, the short story is that I got lousy
> > performance from the service check scheduler in Nagios (3.2.0, sorry -
> > forgot to mention that).
> >
> > I was able to write a brand new scheduler that works MUCH better - 1160
> > checks per minute, compared to ~60. Any plans to do something drastic
> > about the Nagios service check scheduler?
> >

> I have no idea what you did to Nagios to make it run only 60 checks per
> minute. With a distributed setup, using 5 virtual machines and Merlin to
> connect them, I've managed to schedule, run and reap roughly 750k checks
> per 5 minutes. Clearly, you're doing something amazingly weird in your
> configuration.

Yes, clearly. I can't tell what it is though. If the service checks
didn't have passwords as arguments sometimes, I would put my complete
configuration online.

> Have you set parallelize_check to 0 in some template
> somewhere, or turned it off globally in nagios.cfg?

No (edited for e-mail readability ) :

$ grep -R parallelize_check .|grep -v svn|cut -d \; -f 1
./central_server/su-templates.cfg:parallelize_check 1
./central_server/su-templates.cfg:parallelize_check 1
./distributed_servers/su-templates.cfg:parallelize_check 1
./distributed_servers/su-templates.cfg:parallelize_check 1
$

>  Are you using an OCS[PH] command that takes forever to run,

I use almost exactly the submit_check_result from
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/distributed.html - with
hard coded IP number for the master server.

> or is your perfdata handling completely bonkers?

Not doing any perfdata processing.

> 60 checks per minute is nothing, and if that was the
> limit of what Nagios can manage to execute, nobody would use it.

I don't doubt Nagios can execute more checks than that, I'm just saying
that in my case it doesn't.

/Fredrik

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev