The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Mar 2 15:10:25 CET 2010

On 03/01/2010 06:08 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> It's sort of happening, and sort of not happening. Keep in mind that
>> we still haven't released Ninja 1.0 (scheduled for 2010-03-26) and
>> that Merlin still has a few kinks to work out. Making either of those
>> a default in Nagios prematurely would be irresponsible.
>
> Ah yes I remember reading on op5 lists, sorry. But I was curious about
> those plans because in the first time it was announced as possible new
> features, then it was quiet, and then nagios xi popped up. So I wanted
> to ask about those plans, but I can also do that on op5 lists, would fit
> more.

The idea was to ship ninja as the new default gui by the start of the
coming summer (I think). I'm actually not very knowledgeable about what
happened to the original plan. I prefer just getting down to business
and hacking up code to make things happen than discuss how it should be
distributed. When ninja is completed and Merlin is proven stable it'll
be interesting to discuss it again. Before that we really can't do
anything sensible of it anyways.

> People are starting to ask about Icinga+Merlin/Ninja btw ;-)

Ah, cool :)
If the internal API's are the same in icinga as they are in Nagios,
Merlin should work famously. If they're not, I'm sure it wouldn't
be overly hard to make them cooperate anyway.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev