The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 1 18:08:43 CET 2010

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Ethan has a fine ass though. He even shakes it quite nicely when he's
> dancing. But we're digressing.

Sadly, I didn't get the chance on OSMC 2009 because you both were missing.

> Well, yes, and no. I'm a lazy bastard and I point to the projects I
> know about. pnp and Nagvis aren't exactly op5 related more than that
> we've patched them to work with the Merlin database and those patches
> have been accepted upstream.

Yep that's nice to hear, you mentioned that lately (I think it was on
op5 lists).

I just wanted to extract the idea that there are a bunch of addons and
plugins not maintained by nagios core devs or nagios enterprises. Those
addons and plugins alltogether with the core will make a sysadmin happy.

So it's a community "product".

> It's sort of happening, and sort of not happening. Keep in mind that
> we still haven't released Ninja 1.0 (scheduled for 2010-03-26) and
> that Merlin still has a few kinks to work out. Making either of those
> a default in Nagios prematurely would be irresponsible.

Ah yes I remember reading on op5 lists, sorry. But I was curious about
those plans because in the first time it was announced as possible new
features, then it was quiet, and then nagios xi popped up. So I wanted
to ask about those plans, but I can also do that on op5 lists, would fit
more.
People are starting to ask about Icinga+Merlin/Ninja btw ;-)

> I think it sort of moderates itself. Ideas with a really low score
> (somewhere around -30 perhaps) are automagically removed from the
> viewings.

Hm, i just found out that there are moderators.

http://ideas.nagios.org/a/dtd/22035-3955
has been edited to "pending moderator approval" - so it does not pop up
on the start page.

Seems to be a new idea for the "ideas" ...

Kind regards,
Michael

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich