Issue: check_snmp v. 1.4.15 ^ snmpget v.5.4.1 - SNMP v3

William Attwood wattwood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 22:24:18 CEST 2010

I'm using SNMP v3 with check_snmp v1.4.15 and snmpget v5.4.1 and ran into an
interesting issue.

I setup my Netgear switch to not need a password, and to use the Community
public and the User public.  When I do this, I get a response from snmpget
stating there was no securityName.

I can use snmpget to get the results I need:
snmpget -v 3 -c public -u public 10.1.1.3 sysName.0

however, I cannot with check_snmp.  To correct this, on my side (and
probably not correctly), I modified check_snmp.c:

FROM:

if (strcmp(seclevel, "noAuthNoPriv") == 0) {
                        numauthpriv = 2;
                        authpriv = calloc (numauthpriv, sizeof (char *));
                        authpriv[0] = strdup ("-l");
                        authpriv[1] = strdup ("noAuthNoPriv");

TO:

if (strcmp(seclevel, "noAuthNoPriv") == 0) {
                        numauthpriv = 4;
                        authpriv = calloc (numauthpriv, sizeof (char *));
                        authpriv[0] = strdup ("-l");
                        authpriv[1] = strdup ("noAuthNoPriv");
                        authpriv[2] = strdup ("-u");
                        authpriv[3] = strdup (secname);

Am I doing something incorrect in my implementation of SNMP v3?

--
Take care,
William Attwood
wattwood at gmail.com