Implied/Additive inheritance

John Moody john at moodysrus.com
Fri Jul 9 02:21:37 CEST 2010

Gius, Mark <mgius <at> createspace.com> writes:

> Although the documentation does not make this clear, implied and additive
inheritance applies to many
> other objects and directives.  I'm personally using it on hostgroups,
contact_groups, contacts,
> service_groups, etc.  I believe that any directive that can be defined as a
series of comma-delimited
> strings will support the additive/implied inheritance syntax, although I would
confirm on anything I
> didn't mention previously, since I don't know for sure.
>
> -Gius

Thanks guys for the quick responses!!  I have thrown in an example below (partly
stolen from the docs) to clarify the issue (my written example may not have been
clear).

define host{
	name 		        linux-server
	contact_groups	        linux-admins
	}

define service{
	host_name		linux-server
	contact_groups	        +management
	}

This results in only the 'management' team receiving notifications but the
implied/additive *does* work as advertised for escalations.  I am attempting to
leverage the escalation function as a work around at present, but it's not
pretty.

cheers