The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 25 16:53:39 CET 2010

On Feb 25, 2010, at 8:08 AM, nap wrote:

> Maybe we can add a bug ticket so ideas.nagios.org ask real names? Or maybe we can really think people ask a road map for this project and answers?

No, my only point is that maybe you shouldn't tout that as definitive proof of widespread community agreement with you. It's clearly a bogus poll at this point.

You have a larger agenda as well that strongly affects your perception of nagios development. I don't fault you for wanting to know these things but the approach by you and others of trying to foment dissent in the community is off the mark.

> You can also read some of the post around the web like http://linuxfr.org/~naparuba/29408.html (sorry this one is in french) that speak about it and see what real people (with not a random name if you prefer) thinks about the need of answer about where the project is going.

You seem to presume that I am one side or the other of this debate; I am not. I too recognize some of the problems being discussed but I do not yet have enough information to guess at the severity of the them -
	- Ethan's absence from the lists - Yes, he's been rarely seen. Is he investing his limited time in Nagios XI now? Is that a short-term or long-term change? Are there other things going on in his life that preclude him from doing development on Nagios right now? Is that a short-term or long-term thing?
	- What is the relationship of Nagios XI to the OSS version? Will the OSS version become the testing ground for new things or the 'as I have time' version?
	- Ongoing development of the OSS version. There's recently been talk of starting a new branch. This is good but what's planned (highlights) and will that branch be a focus of development or will Nagios XI?
	- Re: Nagios-fr.org. I don't remember seeing any demand in the emails that were posted for them to hand over the domain to Ethan. Those emails have since been removed from the post referenced in the email from Michael Friedrich so I can't review them. If that particular conversation is going to continue, someone please make them available again. I do recognize that Ethan owns the name and he must take reasonable measures to avoid dilution or misuse of the name. Whether the use by nagios-fr.org satisfies those reasons may be debatable by us but in the end, it's Ethan's decision and we will either like it or not.

As far as the future of Nagios, it is Ethan's project, not ours; it always has been and we are along for the ride. We can have hopes and dreams about what it can become and Ethan may buy into them, or he may not. We can propose contributions and he may accept them, or he may not. Regardless, we will all make our own decisions about whether this is compatible with our own goals. Some will stay, some will move on. C'est la vie.

> Ps: if every 4 votes is a downvote, it mean that even more than 400 people vote for it, isn't it?

That was the trend at the moment I was looking at it. That doesn't mean that it always was or always will be...

--
Marc

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev