Automatically acknowledge services of an acknowledged host

Julien Mathis jmathis at merethis.com
Wed Dec 8 23:08:54 CET 2010

Hello Andreas,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think it's a poorly thought out patch. This will indiscriminately ack
> everything that's on a downed host, no matter if the service problem
> is related to the host being down or not. If a plugin returns CRITICAL
> when it can't connect, and then continues returning CRITICAL after the
> host goes up due to a real problem, that real problem would be hidden
> by this patch, since it would appear to be acknowledged even though it
> would actually be the host that's acked.

I don't see why this patch is poorly designed. Basically, we wanted to add a
parameter in services or service models, but we thought that "Nagios
Fathers" would never accept it, because the change was too big. Thus, we
chose to put a global option for this feature, which makes the patch easier
to integrate and therefore easier to be accepted.

Moreover I think you should reconsider your plugins. Is it normal for a
plugin to returns the CRITICAL status when it can not connect? Wouldn't it
be more appropriate with the UNKNOWN status? When a real CRITICAL Status
occurs, the status would change and the service would be disacknowledged
because the user did not use the field "sticky". No?

Nevertheless, this feature answers to many large companies and clients'needs
and thus seems to be useful. Morover, if you don't want to enable this
feature enabled, you can always disable it. Free choice to users.

As any open source project, we want to share our patches with other users. I
think it's the better way to helps opensource project ;)

I hope we will find a solution to integrate this feature.

Best regards,

--
Julien  MATHIS | CTO

jmathis at merethis.com
Tél : +33(0)1.78.12.00.23
Mobile  : +33(0)6.85.43.88.38

MERETHIS est éditeur du logiciel Centreon.