Automatically acknowledge services of an acknowledged host

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Dec 8 17:24:33 CET 2010

On 12/08/2010 04:55 PM, Matthieu Kermagoret wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> You'll find attached a patch that declare a new Nagios configuration
> variable : ack_services_of_acked_hosts. When set, this instructs
> Nagios to automatically acknowledge services of an host when it is
> acknowledged. The generated acknowledgements inheritate properties of
> the host acknowledgement (stickiness, persistency, author, ...).
>
> What do you think about it ?

I think it's a poorly thought out patch. This will indiscriminately ack
everything that's on a downed host, no matter if the service problem
is related to the host being down or not. If a plugin returns CRITICAL
when it can't connect, and then continues returning CRITICAL after the
host goes up due to a real problem, that real problem would be hidden
by this patch, since it would appear to be acknowledged even though it
would actually be the host that's acked.

It's relatively easy to filter out 'bad services on down hosts' in the
UI layer instead, and that's where things like this belongs.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.