Proposal to extend "Implied Inheritance"

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Fri Nov 13 10:07:13 CET 2009

Hi List,

I think the -Implied Inheritance- functionality is something which is very useful. Especially to services.

Currently only these service variables are inherited from the host configuration:
	contact_groups
	notification_interval
	notification_period

Wouldn't it be interesting to extend this functionality to inherit all other host parameters a service has in common with a host definition?
(except name, action url there might be on or two more obvious ones)

Especially: max_check_attempts, normal_check_interval, retry_check_interval

In our case we would benefit from this because:
Our servers are acccording to a company definition split into core, production, development, test
If services could inherit the common parameters from the host definition, we would only need 1 service template which could serve all.

This is of course a case which applies to my specific situation, but it could be beneficial in a multitude of other cases.

Dev's what are your thoughts?

--
Jelle Smet
http://www.smetj.net