downtime notifications on every startup (bug?)

Seth Simmons ssimmons at cymfony.com
Sat Nov 7 21:21:35 CET 2009

I had posted a message to the user list over a year ago regarding
downtime notifications and someone replied stating it is most likely a
bug.  I then posted to the devel list but never got a response and
eventually just forgot about it.

The problem is, if a host or service is in scheduled downtime, nagios
will send a notification that downtime has started for that host or
service (normal). However, If you restart nagios during that downtime,
nagios will send out notifications again stating that downtime has
started.  I've always noticed this issue with nagios.  I don't know what
version I was running 18 months ago when I first noticed it, but I'm
running 3.20 now and are still having this issue.

I have a cron job that will stop nagios, create an archive of the folder
structure, and restart at 5am.  I had several services in downtime until
8am for maintenance.  Nagios sent notifications when downtime initially
started last night, but then sent the same notifications again upon the
restart several hours later at 5am, then downtime end at 8am.

I was able to successfully reproduce this issue (to rule out my
configuration).  I created a linux vm with nagios 3.2.0 using only
localhost.  The only configuration I changed was to the contacts for
notification of downtime, notification options (s) for host, and
notification period (changed workhours to 24x7 since today is Saturday).
I put localhost in downtime and it sent the email (normal).  I stopped
nagios, waited a few min, restarted, and it sent another email saying
downtime has started.  It will do it either if nagios is restarted or
reloaded.  Bug?

Seth Simmons

Systems Administrator

TNS Cymfony