Database integration of SysNagios project

Markus.Almroth at teliasonera.com Markus.Almroth at teliasonera.com
Tue May 26 10:48:55 CEST 2009

I'm maintaining a project for distributed configuration of Nagios called
SysNagios.
(Principle, sysadmin configures Nrpe and nagios parses config and
automatically updates cfg-files).

This works great in the organization, we're currently monitoring 1017
hosts and 9724 service checks and I hardly do any support at all :-).

Anyway. Even though SysNagios supports proxies with nsca, the user
interface is getting really sluggish. I need to implement SysNagios with
some database-based frontend really soon. We have hundreds of systems in
line to get nagiossed.

Now i gett weary, which system shall I use!? There is'nt time enough to
try out one and see if I like it. When I choose, it will likely be
"forever". I like what I see in Merlin, but there is no real
documentation, and I also like Ninja.

NDO seems more established, but it has some real drawbacks.

Currently I use the notes_url to call a CGI which downloads the config
from the monitored host, parses, errorchecks and inserts it into the
Nagios file-structure. There is also a field in the "left menu" of
Nagios where you can choose which proxy you want to use, and enter an IP
if you are to insert a new host. These mods must be possible in the new
platform as well.

What shall I do!?

By the way, I'll be speaking about SysNagios on Nordic Meet On Nagios.

Best regards
/Markus Almroth

P.S if anyone wants to try SysNagios, mail me for the latest scripts.
The cvs repository on SourceForge is not up to date D.S