Proposed functionality added to event loop.

Steven D. Morrey smorrey at ldschurch.org
Tue May 19 20:24:39 CEST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a latency issue in nagios 2.12 and I was reviewing the event_loop one more time.
It has struck me that we could make a quick instrumentation to find out why a service check is not being run.

You see if we are have 27,000 checks in the system, and we are running at a rate of 27,000 checks every 15 minutes that means that each check makes it to the top of the event_list_low queue at least 4 times in an hour.
If latencies are running 3000 (which they are on dev) and we have 27,000 checks executed per hour that means that the event is only making it to the top of the queue once every 50 minutes.

What we could do, is to add an "I wasn't executed" flag to the check and set it as a bit field so that if a check doesn't execute we know why it didn't execute.
In this way we could pare down the reasons for latencies pretty quickly,  for example on the checks that have say 500 latency when the average is 100.

Obviously if all checks are executing when they reach the top of the queue then this does nothing, however if some are falling through the cracks, this could pretty quickly explain why.
If I do this would there be any interest in a patch, or would this type of thing be too specific?

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Steve

http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects