feature request (unless it already exists)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 13 19:53:46 CEST 2009

Jason Dunn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Long time nagios user here, just wondering if anyone can help, or if what
> I'm thinking doesn't exist, I'd like to see if it's possible to be added in?
>
> I monitor (what I think is) a large number of machines and services, and
> would like to be able to view the "Service Status Details" for multiple
> hosts, chosen by the search box.  For example, I have several samba servers,
> and I would like to be able to view the status for the services for all of
> the machines that start with sambasrv.  I have sambasrv1, sambasrv2, etc.  I
> would like to be able to search for just 'sambasrv' and have it return the
> 'Service Status Details' for all of the servers that start with sambasrv.  I
> could create a group, but that's a bit overkill for a quick look at a few
> machines that have similar names.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Does it exist?  If not, I'd like to request that it
> be added in, and I would be more than willing to help, but I'm not a
> programmer.

Hugo Hallqvist, a former employee at op5 (who's right now massaging my
shoulders :D) submitted a patch to make the search box match multiple hosts.
That patch was accepted into core Nagios, so it should be available to you
if you upgrade to at least Nagios 3.0.6.

You need to search for "sambasrv*" or "sambasrv.*". I can't determine right
now at a casual glance if it uses fnmath(3) or regexec(3) to match the
hostnames, but 10 seconds of trial and error on your behalf will do that
part of the research.

HTH

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.