timzones

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 23 13:07:45 CET 2009

Thank you for never top-posting again.

Grant Byers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Great patch!
>
> One thing we really struggle with at my place of work is timezone
> support. Ideally, we'd love to be able to run one instance of nagios,
> supporting multiple timezones. I have seen people raise the issues &
> concerns associated with adding timezone support into the scheduler,
> particular for those timezones supporting daylight savings (ie; what
> does the scheduler do when we skip foward an hour at beginning of DLS,
> or skip backwards an hour at the end, how should times be displayed in
> the CGI interface etc.). I think these can have acceptable solutions,
> behaviour dependant on configuration options (ie. may be configured to
> either run anything that may have been missed when forwarding an hour,
> run a check twice when moving backwards an hour, or to ignore, display
> timezone offset in CGIs). Your patch at least introduces partial
> support, but IMHO would need to be configurable for these circumstances.
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?

Timezone support in the nagios core is something I'd rather not see, as
I really can't see any point at all in it. For the gui, that's a different
kind of ball entirely. Could you name a couple of usecases where it would
be useful if the scheduler is timezone aware?

Supporting timezones in a busy scheduler such as nagios is very, very far
from trivial (actually, timezones are piss-easy; It's DST's and how to work
around them that's hard, but timezone support without that is just a joke
anyway, so why bother?).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.