Mistake in Nagios documentation about embedded perl ???

frank ratty at they.org
Wed Mar 4 02:52:29 CET 2009

The docs may not be crystal clear but I'd say they're far from wrong.

Every plugin is run as a fork. The keywords here are "and executing the
plugins as an external command." With ePN the perl code can be run without
having to instantiate an entire perl process (including compiling the
script code and loading any necessary modules and libraries) which is a
much heavier operation than calling a library function that is already
loaded into memory (as well as the precompiled script code).

Notice that when running an ePN plugin, the process is still named
"nagios" in ps(1) or top(1) output. Without ePN the process would be named
"perl" or perhaps the name of your script.

-f