Mistake in Nagios documentation about embedded perl ???

Yann Jouanin yann.jouanin.list at intelunix.fr
Wed Mar 4 01:00:59 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

I was surprised to read this phrase in the nagios documentation about
embedded perl :

"Without the embedded Perl interpreter, Nagios executes Perl (and non-Perl)
plugins by forking and executing the plugins as an external command. When
the embedded Perl interpreter is used, Nagios can execute Perl plugins by
simply making a library call. >

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/passivechecks.html

If I had read correctly the code in base/checks.c, Nagios compile the plugin
code using EPN, then fork and execute the previously compiled script.

Otherwise I guess a perl script with an infinity loop would make Nagios
stucks.

Am I wrong?

Yann Jouanin

http://www.yannj.fr