Antwort: Nagios 3.0.7 release?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 25 14:29:47 CEST 2009

Thorsten Tüllmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> I'm not quite happy with the versioning scheme myself, but for another
>> reason; Module stability.
>
> good point.
>
>> I'd like to see a versioning scheme that has "A.B.C.D" where:
>> [lots of good arguments]
>
> I second that.
>
>> Fortunately, we're moving Nagios development to git right after the
>
>> The
>> stable release will always be identical to the last beta, since
>> that's what people will be testing with.
>
> Maybe you should consider release candidates at the end of a beta cycle.
>   You might reach more testers and it also provides some vital
> information about upcoming stable releases.

No. The beta releases *are* the release candidates. We really do need
to have enough automated tests, beta-testers and a well-enough defined
testing protocol that we don't actually need -rc candidates as well.

Preferrably, it should be good enough for people to roll out beta code
into production servers, but I doubt we'll reach that because of the
psychological barrier. That barrier remains for rc candidates, so they
buy us nothing but cost extra in terms of snapshot versioning complexity.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.