read retention flapping notifications

Hiren Patel hir3npatel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:33:11 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Hiren Patel wrote:
>> wondering if this diff is valid, if not, I don't see the purpose of
>> the "if" condition in this case. if retention data is read only once
>> at start up before any checks take place, I'm wondering why we check
>> for flapping and not just go with what was in retention data. anyway,
>> if the host/service was not flapping and is calculated to be flapping,
>> I think notifications should be allowed, which is what the diff should
>> change.
>> any advice appreciated.
>
> Does this patch mean that flapping notifications are sent again on each
> Nagios restart? If so, then it's a bad patch and shouldn't be applied.
> It used to work that way, but flapping often happens when you've set the
> threshold values slightly too strictly, which means you need to tweak the
> values a bit and then restart nagios, which would re-send the flapping
> notifications. Since that can potentially happen quite a long time after
> the flapping actually started, it's definitely not a good thing to do.
>
> If it does something else, please explain what so I can grok what you're
> trying to achieve.

only saw your comments from devcon about submitting with relevant info
about the patch, and preferably tested, before having to ping pong
emails about why the patch is a good idea.
sorry for the noise in this regard with the above post.
I will test what behavior I think the patch solves first, and then
resubmit with relevant info once done.
thanks for the mail regarding the devcon discussions, sounds all
positive to me.

server and web deployment.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects