read retention flapping notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 5 10:43:36 CEST 2009

Hiren Patel wrote:
> wondering if this diff is valid, if not, I don't see the purpose of the
> "if" condition in this case. if retention data is read only once at
> start up before any checks take place, I'm wondering why we check for
> flapping and not just go with what was in retention data. anyway, if the
> host/service was not flapping and is calculated to be flapping, I think
> notifications should be allowed, which is what the diff should change.
> any advice appreciated.

Does this patch mean that flapping notifications are sent again on each
Nagios restart? If so, then it's a bad patch and shouldn't be applied.
It used to work that way, but flapping often happens when you've set the
threshold values slightly too strictly, which means you need to tweak the
values a bit and then restart nagios, which would re-send the flapping
notifications. Since that can potentially happen quite a long time after
the flapping actually started, it's definitely not a good thing to do.

If it does something else, please explain what so I can grok what you're
trying to achieve.

Thanks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.