Wildcard in Serviceescalations with hosts without services

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Mon Feb 2 20:41:43 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm using wildcards in serviceescalation.

define serviceescalation{
         host_name                       *
         service_description             *
         contact_groups                  contactgroup-blah
         notification_interval           10
         first_notification              1
         last_notification               *
         escalation_options              w,c,u,r
         }

Unfortunately, some of our sysadmins forget to associate at least one
service to hosts. This has the consequence that service expansion is no
more possible, generating an error and preventing Nagios from being
(re)started. Furthermore, no clue is giving about which hosts are
affected by this oversight, making debugging painful.

My suggestion would be to skip hosts without an associated service,
allow Nagios to start normally and generate a warning instead.

--
Mathieu