Optimize status.cgi

Kamens, Jonathan jkamens at Advent.COM
Wed Dec 30 18:53:28 CET 2009

From: Ton Voon [mailto:ton.voon at opsera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:39 PM
To: Nagios Developers List
Subject: Re: [Nagios-devel] Optimize status.cgi

Hi Jonathan,

Just to let you know that I'll look into this soon.

Thank you.

I have had reports that lots of downtime causes a CGI slowdown, and it looks like you've nailed where it is. Did you use any particular tools to identify this?

Built status.cgi with -pg (profiling) compiler flag, figured out correct environment variables to set to run profiling version of status.cgi from the shell and produce gmon.out, and ran gprof on profiling version of status.cgi and gmon.out to produce execution profile, which made it clear where the code needed to be optimized.

  Jik