New Nagios implementation proposal

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Dec 18 17:09:25 CET 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Christoph Maser wrote:

>>> I really wonder what nagios needs that cannot be done fast enough in
>>> java/python/whatever.
>>
>> Core developers that work fluently in that language without replacing the entire core development team for one, and that's a big reason.
>>

> I guess you purposly missed the point here. It was about execution
> speeds not programming speed. The development speed of nagios cannot get
> any slower i think ....

No, I didn't purposely miss the point, it wasn't clear. The point for you was just one sentence out of the whole e-mail. In any event, I have nothing to contribute about that because I'm not involved in it and have no insight. I *personally* don't think that development has been dead for the past two years as I have benefitted from changes made during that time. Nagios suits my needs at this time but I can see that in the future, some of the things being talked about will be useful to me. Useful enough to risk a new implementation; I'm not sure.

My main issue is that if Ethan, and the other core developers are not fluent in the language and fully involved, leading and supportive of the project, then it's just interesting at it's current stage, not compelling. I have years of trust in the abilities of the development team. They've shown that they can write stable code that suits my needs and makes the monitoring part of my $job easy. A re-write brings uncertainties into something that I am currently very certain about and that makes me uncomfortable.

--
Marc