New Nagios implementation proposal

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 3 09:43:37 CET 2009

On 12/02/2009 02:45 PM, nap wrote:
> Thanks this is very usefull, I'll look at it :)
>
> I test with a random check 1->10 and it's ok for latency. It just
> needs a lot of workers so I'm trying to allow workers to launch
> several process at a time and so use less workers (from 200->4) and
> from now it's even faster an use less memory (one worker is a fork of
> poller, and poller is near 10Mo of resident memory so less Worker,
> less memory used). I just test with a 200K random time check, 4
> workers, 512 process/worker and it runs fine (load average at 3 and
> still some %idle available :) ).
>
> Now I'm trying a 300K configuration (still the same random time check) :D

Try with the attached plugin. It's supposed to simulate a network under
extreme stress (ie, when monitoring is most important) by exiting with
a random exit-code.

> But remember : Shinken is far more than good performances. Its
> architecture is also important and I would like to have your feed back
> about it too.

I'll look into it when I get a few moments to spare. However, I'm fairly
certain Nagios has too much momentum and too many in-core modules for any
incompatible competitor to take its place.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.