Searching for a proper nagios replacement

Alexander Wirt formorer at debian.org
Thu Aug 13 12:53:47 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson schrieb am Thursday, den 13. August 2009:

Hi,

> > now with the release of 3.2.0 and the stupiest decision ever - the move to a
> > php frontend - I'm looking for a replacement.
> >
> > It should be:
> >
> > - compatible with nagios plugins
>
> That would be Big Brother then, I guess.
>
> > - developed with security in mind. (yes that means no php)
> >

> Do you really think that coding web-applications in C is more secure than
> writing them in PHP? What do you base that assumption on?
The horrible history of php itself. The language is bad designed and the
interpreter is full of bugs which leads to more security implications than
most people could imagine. History also shows that the php devs are not able
to handle their own bugs nor do they proper security management. After the
last 2 breakins via php and php applications we decided to not use php
anymore.

> > As an alternative I'm thinking about the implemementation of an alternative
> > webfrontend maybe in perl or ruby. If somebody wants to share ideas with me,
> > get in touch with me.
> >

> That should be fairly trivial whether you use the flat status data files or
> some database dumping nagios addon. It will just probably be very tiring for
> you to do so unless you get a large enough user-/developer-base to help you
> write a lot of it. Ah well. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Indeed it would be tiring I hoped I could prevent it.

Alex