Searching for a proper nagios replacement

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 13 12:45:05 CEST 2009

Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now with the release of 3.2.0 and the stupiest decision ever - the move to a
> php frontend - I'm looking for a replacement.
>
> It should be:
>
> - compatible with nagios plugins

That would be Big Brother then, I guess.

> - developed with security in mind. (yes that means no php)

Do you really think that coding web-applications in C is more secure than
writing them in PHP? What do you base that assumption on?

> As an alternative I'm thinking about the implemementation of an alternative
> webfrontend maybe in perl or ruby. If somebody wants to share ideas with me,
> get in touch with me.

That should be fairly trivial whether you use the flat status data files or
some database dumping nagios addon. It will just probably be very tiring for
you to do so unless you get a large enough user-/developer-base to help you
write a lot of it. Ah well. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.