Possible bug in Nagios 2.12?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Apr 14 00:01:14 CEST 2009

The <snip>'s inserted are a tad annoying, especially since you're
also quoting the replied to text.

Steven D. Morrey wrote:
> <snip>
>> How? Using no delay at all between attempts would be
>> rather devastating, since spinlocks eat CPU like mad.
> </snip>
>
> <snip>
> Stop thinking small.  When you have many thousands of checks
> to run, tiny delays persist and add up.  A second here, a
> second there, and pretty soon you're talking real time.
> </snip>

Well, stop thinking small yourself and use a distributed solution ;-)

> <snip>
>> There's no real design issue.
> </snip>
>
> <snip>
> The design issue is that delays build up and become very
> observable.
> </snip>

That's not a design issue, it's just a fact of life.

> I've removed the sleep in my version of nagios and throughput difference is DRAMATIC.

Do you have a lot of unparallelizable checks?

> That said other things are having a hard time running on the same machine.

Including plugins and the reaper threads of Nagios ;-)

> I'm going to sprinkle some yields where the sleeps are at and see if that helps, I'll keep you apprised.

That's a very good idea (replacing sleep(1) with sched_yield()). Just
make sure it keeps on working on AIX and Solaris and stuff like that,
where Nagios compiles and runs just fine today.

I'd prefer if you did it with a helper function to make it easier to
support various operating systems that need it without duplicating a
lot of code.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.