[ANNOUNCE] nagios git repository/patch queue

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 24 10:12:04 CEST 2008

Hi all.

Sorry for cross-posting, but I figured this might be of interest
to a wider audience of the community.

Having spoken to Hendrik Baecker at the Netways conference this
year, I've come to realize that there is possibly a need for more
distributed efforts regarding the Nagios core, and especially how
patches to it are managed. I approached Ethan with some suggestions,
and the result is that I will maintain a patch queue for him to
review/apply when he has time.

This patch queue will be stored as a git repository located at
http://www.op5.org.
To clone this repository using git (http://www.git-scm.org) use
git://www.op5.org/git/nagios.git as the URL.
The gitweb url is http://www.op5.org/git/nagios.git
The patch queue also contains a full import of the Nagios CVS
repository, so those who prefer using git over CVS, go right
ahead and check out the un-modified "master" branch.
Note that snapshots are not yet provided, although you can get
them from the gitweb page by clicking the "snapshot" link.

I want to make it absolutely clear that Ethan still has the final
call on bugfixes and feature suggestions. I'm merely helping out
so that important patches aren't accidentally dropped when he
locks himself up to work on new user interfaces, features, etc,
etc. That also means that if your patch makes it into the patch
queue (ie, it passes the first round of review), that is by no
means a guarantee for inclusion into Nagios itself. Trivial and
obviously correct bugfixes will almost certainly be included,
while features are a little less certain. Like I said, Ethan and
the community owns the Nagios code, so the decision is ultimately
up to him.

If you are curious about who I am; keep reading. Otherwise you can
save a few minutes by stopping right here.

Who the hell are you, Mr "handles a patch queue"?
I'm a member of the Nagios Community Advisory Board, and I've been
reviewing patches on nagios-devel for quite some years. Getting a
public repository to put them in will simply make it easier for me
to stash the post-review patches off to Ethan.

I work as a software designer/engineer at op5, a sweden-based
company doing business packaging Nagios as an appliance and
selling support contracts to corporations of all sizes.
I've been working with op5 5 years and hacking Nagios pretty much
all of that time. I'm also an avid git fan(atic) (Hi Ton!) and
contributor.

As a part of my job, I also spend a lot of time on the various
Nagios mailing lists, where I'm sometimes considered "forthright,
verging on blunt" by those who want to be kind to me. I also
have a blog which I primarily use as a scratchpad for random
musings on software development in general and Nagios in
particular. The blog can be found at http://blogs.op5.org

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se