servicegroup_name in serviceescalation limited by hostgroups

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Sep 6 10:33:07 CEST 2008

Fraser Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>From the Nagios 3.0 time-saving doc:
>
> All Services In Multiple Servicegroups:
> If you want to create service escalations for all services that belong
> in one or more servicegroups, you can do use the servicegroup_name
> directive. The definition below would create service escalations for
> all services that are members of servicegroups SERVICEGROUP1 through
> SERVICEGROUPN. All the instances of the service escalation would be
> identical (i.e. have the same contact groups, notification interval,
> etc.).
>
> 	define serviceescalation{
> 		servicegroup_name		SERVICEGROUP1,SERVICEGROUP2,...,SERVICEGROUPN
> 		other escalation directives ...
> 		}
>

> How much hacking of the source code would be required to not have the
> servicegroup_name automatically apply to all hosts? Basically, I would
> like to specify both hostgroups and servicegroups to which the
> escalation should apply.

A lot, and the result would be one which users would have to scratch
their heads quite a while before they understood it properly, especially
when taking '!foo' into account as well.

There are limits to how much free-style should be allowed when editing
the configuration. At some point the semantics of what one is editing is
no longer clear and it would simply have been faster for the user to
add two objects rather than look up exactly what's happening when they
use config voodoo hack A27C36. What you're proposing fits rather nicely
into that "over-clever semantics" group, imo.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se