servicegroup_name in serviceescalation limited by hostgroups

Fraser Scott fraser.scott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 19:04:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

>From the Nagios 3.0 time-saving doc:

All Services In Multiple Servicegroups:
If you want to create service escalations for all services that belong
in one or more servicegroups, you can do use the servicegroup_name
directive. The definition below would create service escalations for
all services that are members of servicegroups SERVICEGROUP1 through
SERVICEGROUPN. All the instances of the service escalation would be
identical (i.e. have the same contact groups, notification interval,
etc.).

	define serviceescalation{
		servicegroup_name		SERVICEGROUP1,SERVICEGROUP2,...,SERVICEGROUPN
		other escalation directives ...
		}

How much hacking of the source code would be required to not have the
servicegroup_name automatically apply to all hosts? Basically, I would
like to specify both hostgroups and servicegroups to which the
escalation should apply.

I have started looking at the source (xdata/xodtemplate.c) and I can
see how the functions xodtemplate_expand_servicegroups_and_services
and xodtemplate_expand_servicegroups come into it, but I'm not sure
how much more is required. Any hints would be welcomed.

Many thanks,
Fraser