Nagios 3.0.3 on AIX

Markus Baertschi markus at markus.org
Mon Oct 13 12:39:12 CEST 2008

I've compiled Nagios 3.0.3 on AIX and came across a couple of problems I'd
like to report. I'm on AIX 5.3, using IBM's compiler (xlc V9) or gcc 4.2.0.

My configure line is (the gd stuff is in /opt/freeware):
CC=xlc  CFLAGS=-I/opt/freeware/include ./configure

I was able to compile, but there are some problems worth looking into:

1) The build process can not find the snprintf.o module.
    This seems to be a bug in the generated makefile because snprintf
    is built alright, but in the 'base' directory, but the Makefile looks
for
    it in the 'common' directory.
    I don't know why Nagios even uses its private snprintf, because there
    is one with AIX and 'configure' does recognize it.
2) There are tons of warnings: 'Macro name RTLD_NOW has been redefined'
    because the macro is defined in include/config.h and include/config.h is
    called before the system includes who define the RTLD macros.
3) There are some warnings about Operation between types "int(*)(void)" and
"void*" is not allowed.
    It looks like a type-cast is missing. I have not looked closer at these
message
    get lost between the RTLD warnings above.
4) When installing the init-file the nagios supposes there is a group
'root'.
    On AIX there is no such group.

Markus
--
 Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
 Bas du Rossé 16             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678
 CH-1163, Etoy                Email: markus at markus.org
  Switzerland                  Homepage: www.markus.org